Tuesday 18 September 2012

Well, that escalated quickly!

Howdy chickadees!

Now I don't know about you guys, but this recent storm of Islamic protests that have been taking place around the world in response to a particular stupid clip/ film on youtube:

(incase you've been living under a rock)

has really taken me by surprise to the extent when photos like this:


have made me go like this:


Insert inappropriate yet hilarious meme!!!


Okay, but in all seriousness, this phenomena has confused me on so many levels. Now, before anything, I need to make it clear that I do not agree with the provocative nature of the video. I have my own issues with the patriarchal foundations of Islam, as I do with almost every other religion (and I will write y'all a blog on my general views on organised religion on the whole) however, due to the video being extremely derogatory, as far as I am concerned, it holds no credit. However, the reactions of Muslims around the globe has just been disgusting. What has to be understood at this point is that these protestors portray only a certain fraction of followers of the Islamic faith and by no means should they represent Muslims as a whole, HOWEVER, the number of Muslims that have participated in these riotous protests in the multiple countries around the globe, to me, displays many loose bolts and cracks present within Islamic culture. 

I think what needs to be understood, at the end of the day, is that everybody deserves the right to free speech, and that is all that this video is. It is a form of free speech. It in no way directly impacts the lives of Muslims. It simply does not. If you want to protest about it, go ahead, that's your right to free speech, but to harm people, and to attack police officers, and to hold up unbelievably threatening poster boards in the name of your religion is simply not on. Do you know how much material is out there that directly attacks Christians and Homosexuals and Atheists and so on and so forth? I mean, if one crazy lunatic or a small group of radical Muslims reacted negatively to this video, we could classify them as just that, one crazy lunatic or a small group of radical Muslims. BUT to have such a vast number of people rallying under the same religious banner and protesting like Communist crazies on crack really presents itself as an issue. 

But I think something needs to be made clear to EVERYBODY, regardless of whichever belief system (or lack of it for that matter) they live their life by: 

YOUR BELIEF IS SIMPLY AN OPINION, AND JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER OPINION, IT SHOULD AND MUST BE OPEN TO DEBATE, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT! I REPEAT, YOUR BELIEF IS AN OPINION... AND NOT SOLID CONCRETE FACT!!

The reason this is such a touchy topic for me is because I have been raised in an extremely strict and religious household, and hence the importance of having a society in which all beliefs are able to be scrutinised and dissected is absolutely necessary for me due to the lack of such an environment when I was growing up. That is what makes the world go round. Islam, in particular the religious population in Middle Eastern and African countries, do not seem to have warmed up to this idea very well. They need to understand that not everybody believes in Islam, and there are plenty of people who actively disagree with Islam and will voice their opinions about it, and they have to live with that. If death is your solution to dealing with a person who doesn't believe what you believe, then you deserve to be thrown in jail for the entirety of your life. Killing people because they don't agree with you is simply barbaric and grotesque, what is wrong with you??? And, unfortunately, this has been the underlying message of almost all the protests that have taken place in the past week in regards to this video, even though the majority of them might have started out as a peaceful protest. 

The reason why I am harping on but the faults of the Muslims as opposed to the wrong-doings of the people who made the video that started everything is because the video really does no harm to Muslims at all! Ok, the video was rude and derogatory, just flag that shit and move the fuck on! Take it with a grain of salt! Use it as food for thought! Think about it, how will it affect an individual Muslim's walk with their God? It won't! These testosterone-raging muslim men seem to just want any reason to pick a fight! Watch the video, shrug it off, and move on with your life! Make a complaint to youtube to take it down, protest a little during your lunch break at work, and move on with your lives like normal people!!!!!!! 

I've tried my best not to make this into a religious discussion, but I needed traces of religious debate in order to get my point across. As I always say, feel free to disagree! (I just won't like you very much) :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment